Certain regular events are not included here. See the full calendar for a complete listing.
The Catholic Community invites all UH students, staff and faculty to all our events, and to participate at the level you are comfortable. While we offer a variety of programs and groups, our real strength is the rich diversity of people who come together to make our community. We come from many different nations and from cities and towns across the United States. While we are not home, we hope that you will feel comfortable and always among friends. We look forward to meeting you! Be sure to browse through some of the links in the navigation bar to get to know us better.
CRS ~ Operation Rice Bowl Starts Wednesday, March 5th Pick Up Your Operation Rice Bowl at Mass or at the UH Catholic Newman Center
You’re invited to participate in the CRS Operation Rice Bowl!
The UH Catholic Newman Center will be participating in the CRS Operation Rice Bowl, Catholic Relief Services’ Lenten program, as a way to encounter Jesus through others, especially through the most vulnerable in our world. Rice Bowls will be available at the UH Catholic Newman Center. Please be sure to take home a Rice Bowl and use this fun and easy resource to deepen your family’s Lenten experience and make a difference in the lives of the poor.
We gather to worship and we are always looking for volunteers to help make our celebrations the high point of our day or week. We are looking for the following:
- Altar Server: Male and female students are invited to assist the priest at Mass. Altar servers make sure that all of the elements needed for Mass are prepared before our celebration and assist the priest during the celebration. After Mass the acolytes make sure that everything is put away. Altar servers are needed especially for Sunday celebrations.
- Choir, Instrumentalists and Cantor: To paraphrase St. Augustine: “He who sings well, prays twice.” Students with a gift for and interest in helping the assembled community to sing during the Mass are most welcome. Rehearsals are scheduled before and after Mass or as needed.
- Ministers of Hospitality: Ministers of hospitality are ready to serve as needs arise. They help to seat those who arrive for Mass, take up the weekly collection, assist the offertory procession and help pass out information (i.e. bulletins, announcements, etc.).
- Extraordinary Ministers of Communion: This ministry is for fully initiated Catholics (those who have received Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist). In the absence of the ordinary ministers (priest or deacon) they serve as ministers of communion distributing the Body and Blood of our Lord to those who come forward to receive Holy Communion. The Extraordinary Minister of Communion must be invited by the priest and formally commissioned.
- RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION FOR ADULTS (R.C.I.A.) & CATHOLIC CONFIRMATION CLASSES
- CATHOLIC RELIEF SERVICES ~ OPERATION RICE BOWL
- Diocesan Services Fund (DSF) is "You will be enriched in every way for great generosity."(2 Corinthians 9:11)
- Catholic Student Organization Officers 2013 ~ 2014
- Why Choose Catholic Schools?
- Diocesan Services Fund (DSF)
- Cardinal Newman's beatification could be teaching moment for colleges
- A Prayer of John Henry Cardinal Newman